Of Female Pilots and AirAsia

Talk about pilot's life, sim training, gears, rumors etc.

Re: Of Female Pilots and AirAsia

Postby Mr_Aviator » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:35 am

PEOPLE: Aviators’ world
2009/09/16

P. SELVARANI

Flitting between three cities in two countries in all of 10 hours without ever setting foot on land is all in a day’s work for AirAsia pilot Noor Hafizah Mohd Idrus, writes P. SELVARANI.

5.30am Wakes up, showers and gets ready for work. Drives from her Kota Warisan Sepang home to the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT).

6.45am Parks her car at the LCCT car park and walks to the AirAsia office on the second floor of the terminal building. Clocks in and checks her schedule for the day at the computer terminal in the Crew Briefing Area.

Collects the trip kits (a pouch containing all the charts and maps for the routes she will be using for the day) and checks that everything is in order. Checks to see where the designated aircraft is parked.

Briefs her superior Captain S. Puvan who will be accompanying her on the flight and they discuss the flight destination, weather conditions and other operational procedures.

Prepares the necessary paperwork such as calculating the take-off weight of the plane, the landing weight and how much fuel the plane has to carry. (It saves time to prepare this ahead instead of doing it on board).

caption image1

For today (June 8), Noor Hafizah will be flying to Senai International Airport in Johor Baru and back to the LCCT, followed by the second flight from the LCCT to Denpasar Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali and back.

7.20am Grabs some toast from the office lounge (workers’ cafeteria) which she will later nibble in the plane. (“I cannot eat too early”.) 7.25am Together with Capt Puvan, Noor Hafizah starts walking from the terminal building to the bay where the aircraft is parked. Boards the aircraft and takes her position in the right seat. 7.30am As passengers bound for JB begin to board the plane, Noor Hafizah goes through the command routes with Capt Puvan again and checks that everything is in order. 8.10am She requests for permission to take off from the control tower.

8.15am Taxis the plane onto the runway.

8.20am Gives instructions to the cabin crew to be seated for take off.

9.03am Lands at Senai airport.

9.10am While passengers disembark and the cabin crew tidy up the aircraft before the KL-bound passengers board the plane, she cross-checks the flight route calculations and wind speed with Capt Puvan.

9.27am Taxis the plane out of the Senai airport apron and takes off for the LCCT.

10.10am Lands at the LCCT. While passengers disembark, she takes a quick toilet break. Returns to the cockpit and checks route and wind speed for the next flight to Denpasar, Bali.

10.30am Bali-bound passengers board the aircraft.

10.55am She taxis the plane off the apron and gives instructions to the cabin crew to be seated for take off. Plane takes off at 10.59am.

11.55am Announces to the passengers that they are now entering Indonesian airspace and the weather conditions.

1.30pm Advises passengers to fasten their seat belts as they will soon be arriving at the Denpasar Ngurah Rai International airport in Bali. Shortly after that, she instructs the cabin crew to take their seats as well.

1.44pm Lands plane.

1.55pm While passengers disembark and Kuala Lumpur-bound passengers board the plane, Noor Hafizah and Capt Puvan step out of the cockpit to stretch their legs. After a brief chat with the cabin crew, they return to the cockpit.

I count my lucky stars as Capt Puvan invites me to sit in the cockpit for the duration of the flight back from the Denpasar Ngurah Rai International Airport to the LCCT in Sepang.

I take my place at the jump seat behind the pilots’ seats. The cockpit door is locked behind us.

Noor Hafizah runs through the checklist, flight route and wind speeds with him. She explains that to save time, she had done the calculations for the flight back to LCCT, en route to Bali, and has programmed the aircraft for the departing flight. 2.20pm She double-checks everything and requests permission from the air traffic controller (ATC) to taxi away from the parking bay.

She slowly positions the plane on the runway, ready for take-off but is told by the ATC to hold behind another plane.

As we wait for take-off clearance, Capt Puvan informs me that a couple of flights are due to land, which is why we cannot take off as scheduled.

2.37pm Capt Puvan announces to the passengers that there is a slight delay in take off as they are waiting for another plane to land. The Ngurah Rai International airport is rather busy at this hour.

He tells me that when the plane is about to take off or land, the “silent cockpit” rule is observed where there is no verbal communication between the pilot and co-pilot as they listen to instructions from the control tower.Celebrate Aidilfitri with a FREE BlackBerry® CurveTM from Celcom Biz

2.45pm
Upon receiving clearance from the control tower, Noor Hafizah starts rolling down the runway and takes off. (This is where my heart starts pounding as I am paranoid whenever a plane takes off or lands! But with an uninterrupted view of the runway and the skies before me, I am rather surprised that I feel no fear as the plane gently takes off!)

2.55pm
Once the aircraft has reached an altitude of more than 3,000 metres, the two pilots continue discussing technical details, showing me the radar picture which indicates our flight path and the location of other aircraft in the vicinity.
As the plane is on autopilot, they only have to monitor the instruments. She monitors the flight while Capt Puvan, the radio calls. They later inform me we are flying at an altitude of 11,400 metres at a speed of 270 knots (860km) per hour.

3.15pm
The buzzer at the cockpit door rings and Capt Puvan looks at the CCTV screen behind him to check who’s at the door. It’s senior flight attendant Aznina Abdullah who is ready to serve beverages and some sandwiches. It’s Nescafe for Capt Puvan and Horlicks for Noor Hafizah.

3.40pm
Noor Hafizah leaves the cockpit for a quick toilet break. Capt Puvan, 38, tells me that while he graduated as a commercial pilot from an Australian flying academy in 1995, he was unable to get a job for many years due to the 1997 economic crisis.
He took on various jobs, including sales and marketing, and only started flying when he joined AirAsia in 2002.
Noor Hafizah says she nursed an ambition to be a pilot since she was nine and graduated from the Malaysian Flying Academy in Batu Berendam, Malacca, in 2006 and has been flying with AirAsia for the past three years, logging 2,900 hours of flight time. She is one of the airline’s 17 female pilots.

3.55pm
As we are cruising above the clouds, I react with shock as I see another aircraft crossing our path at a range which seems a little too close for comfort.
Capt Puvan assures me that it’s quite normal and there is nothing to fear as the aircraft is some 600 metres above us. He points out that they have also been monitoring it on the radar screen.
During the flight, Capt Puvan and Noor Hafizah share their experiences and the former gives her some tips for her upcoming flight simulator examination that all pilots have to undergo every six months.

4.58pm
We are flying in Malaysian airspace at an altitude of about 4,500 metres. Capt Puvan explains that they have to lower the speed as there are two other aircraft preparing to land before them.

5pm
We are flying over Malacca at an altitude of 1,800 metres.

5.08pm
Noor Hafizah prepares to land the aircraft but has received instructions from the control tower to delay awhile as another aircraft is about to land. She continues to communicate with the control tower and upon getting the go-ahead, prepares to land.

5.17pm
It’s a gentle landing and Noor Hafizah taxis the plane to the designated gateway, guided by the marshall.

5.20pm
As the passengers disembark, Noor Hafizah fills her report form. She then disembarks the plane and heads to the AirAsia office where she files her report and returns the trip kits.

6pm
Noor Hafizah heads for home.

source NST

-- Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:41 am --

She's cute :)

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/ ... index_html
Mr_Aviator

Postby pokley_fujiwara » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Cute?Definitely.Btw,is she married? :p

Nonetheless i''d be just a 2nd officer by the time she reaches command.Life's cruel.hahaha ::D:
pokley_fujiwara

Postby WangDake » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi,

If I'm a female pilot with short haircut, and it's impossible for me to tie them all up,
must I hide al my hair inside the pilot cap including my bang??
the haircut mentioned is similar to this one
WangDake

Postby Mir_Mira » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Captain Norashikin Onn is the first female captain in Malaysia right? She's also work with Airasia...
I though Janet will become the first captain.

Gosh...when is my turn :DDDD
Will keep trying!

So, will MAS starts offer a position for female? this is great don't you think? hehehe
Mir_Mira

Postby drebarbas » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Depending which category that you want to talk about............ :)

IIRC Capt Norashikin Onn IS NOT the 1st female capt in M'sia for commercial jet category, Capt Pearl Mak is ...... She was from Sabah Air on Beechcraft B200 and subsequently on B727F Capt with Transmile. I think right now she is flying with Silk Air ....... ;)

Lt Kol Emilia Kamarudin is the 1st Female Capt on Jet Aircraft in M'sia/1st Female Fighter Pilot etc ......... Contrary to some people believed that Mej Patricia is the 1st female fighter pilot. In fact Mej Patricia was Emilia's student during her ab-initio training .......

The Unlearned
:cool:
A Real Man Needs A "Big Stick" In Between Legs .....

BUT

Not The One Provided by BOEING ....
drebarbas

Postby Mir_Mira » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:41 am

waah so many cool woman that I didn't know...
wow............
I salute all of them.
Thanks for the info
Mir_Mira

Postby lynn8 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Heard that 2 female pilots joining maswing. Prove that mas is taking girls now.
lynn8

Postby bird_strike » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Wonder if every year they got 9month paid leave...
:p
"The stars seemed near enough to touch and never before have I seen so many. I always believed the lure of flying is the lure of beauty, but I was sure of it that night"Amelia Earhart
bird_strike

Postby drebarbas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:28 pm

lynn8 wrote:Heard that 2 female pilots joining maswing. Prove that mas is taking girls now.

Sorry to break your heart, MASwing is NOT MAS ............ just a 'distant-great-step-sister' ...... MAS is still being bogged down by a syndrome called 'Mental Blockage' ......... therefore, NO FEMALE PILOT ........ :=\:

The Unlearned
:cool:
A Real Man Needs A "Big Stick" In Between Legs .....

BUT

Not The One Provided by BOEING ....
drebarbas

Postby cat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 am

Prefer to have a right-hand man than a right-hand woman....gals, no offence.
Fly to live,Live to fly.
cat

PreviousNext

Return to Pilot's Talk